Some will say processed food is cheaper. Is it?
U.S. food business grossed $1 trillion
$450 billion in profit
$2 billion in marketing to children
U.S. health care costs $2.7 Trillion
75% of which is chronic metabolic disease
75% of which is preventable & diet related
$1.4 trillion is wasted
We lose triple what the food industry makes.
Some Facts about Processed Food
From "Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study".
- Americans consume 58% of their calories as ultra-processed foods.
- Ultra-processed foods are the source of 90% of added sugars in the US diet.
- 60% of Americans consume more 10% of their calories as added sugars
- The average American consumes 292 calories of added sugar/day
- Only those in the lowest quintile of ultra-processed food consumption actually meet the recommendation of <10% of calories from added sugars.
- "Decreasing the consumption of ultra- processed foods could be an effective way of reducing the excessive intake of added sugars in the USA."
- Cutting costs on fruits and vegetables could save thousands of lives each year
- Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study
- Processed Food: An experiment that failed
Was this helpful?