The IRN has been impacting millions with high impact education and communication campaigns that are changing the conversation about food and health.
Here are a Few Highlights to Date:
Sugar is Killing Us, animated video and Facebook Page. Collaboration with Fred Water has resulted in over 700,000 views to date, and 24,000 followers on Facebook.
Sugar Hiding in Plain Site, Ted-Ed animated video. 376,000 views to date.
Established IRN YouTube Channel. Dozens of educational videos on various topics related to nutrition and health.
Established IRN Scoop.It online magazine. 425,000 views to date.
Sweet Revenge: Turning the Tables on Processed Foods. One-hour PBS program, partnership with Ken Nochimson and Advise & Consent reached over 1 million people on 400 PBS stations. Spanish translation, Dulce Venganza, produced at PBS quality for distribution to Spanish speaking community. A National PBS series is inspired by these efforts.
IRN Online Education Ecosystem: Three websites (www.responsiblefoods.org, www.realfoodchallenge.me, and www.nutritionhub.org) and multiple media channels (Nationbuilder, Wordpress, Scoop.It, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.) has accumulated over 100,000 followers. Tens of thousands of visitors on all our channels every month.
Hosted Premier of Fed Up: IRN hosted the San Francisco premier of the documentary that features IRN Founder Dr. Robert Lustig. Now available on iTunes.
Supported the Fat Chance Row that leveraged $250,000 in donations to support high quality nutrition education.
Sugar Coated: IRN hosted the U.S. Premier of the 1.5 hour documentary, collaboration with Michele Hozer and The Cutting Factory. Now available on Netflix.
Participation in Key Conferences and Forums around the U.S. and internationally (partial list) focused on food system change, food security, and nutrition:
- Food Insecurity Conference in Chicago, hosted by Hope Street Group
- Big Sugar Summit in Florida. Big Sugar is destroying both human and environmental health.
- International Eat Forum in Stockholm. Dr. Robert Lustig dismantles the massive uncontrolled experiment we call "processed food".
- Partnered with U.C. Hastings to produce Legal & Policy Summits on Sugar.
- Sugar Reduction Conference in Seattle convened by Healthy Food America.
Collaborative Communications and Consultations. Produced or collaborated on a wealth of innovative educational resources, online media, infographics, webinars, podcasts, newsletters, etc. Here are a few examples:
- Supported Michele Simon's exposé on the School Nutrition Association and key reports by the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Provided consultations for Credit Suisse investors in Europe, following up on their major report, Sugar: Consumption at a Crossroads.
- Debunked key myths about nutrition.
Forged innovative 10 Day Real Food Challenge. Partnered with MyFitnessPal to bring a Clean Eating Challenge to 85 million members. Nearly twenty thousand folks signed up for the first online challenge.
Hosted dozens of Educational & Community Building Events on the East and West Coasts, including house parties and private luncheons.
Escorted low-income youth and community leaders from the East Bay (Wellness City Challenge) to Washington D.C. to support their efforts to educate legislators and the USDA about school nutrition. Co-presented the efforts of these youth at the Stanford Food Summit.
Established the Nutrition Toolbox, a hub for science-based nutrition.
Forged Real Food for Real People strategy, an innovative approach to leverage food donations for organizations addressing both food insecurity and nutrition education, working with partner AmpYourGood.
Convener for the Real Food Alliance, an alliance of nonprofits and for profit interests in changing the food system and promoting the benefits and integrity of real food.
Forged many strategic partnerships, including (partial list): Advise & Consent, Thorn Run Partners, United States Healthful Food Council/Real Certified, Fred Water, Wellness City Challenge, Hint Water, Cutting Factory, Food System 6, Lucifit, MyFitnessPal, Connectwell, EatDrinkPolitics, Credit Suisse Research Institute, Morrison Foerster, Teens 4 Health, Hope Street Group, Amp Your Good, Leah's Pantry, The Suppers Programs, Public Health Advocates, Bauman College, Farmraiser, Food Evolution, Eat Love, and many more!
The Future is In Your Hands! Help the IRN Expand its Impact to Reach Millions.
Our current focus is on expanding the impact of our online nutrition education via the 10 Day Real Food Challenge and the Nutrition Toolbox. Here is how we put your charitable donations to work:
10 Day Real Food Challenge
- We are actively engaging new partners: nonprofits, health care organizations, real food companies, etc. to extend the 10 Day Real Food Challenge so that it can reach many more thousands this year.
- We are currently working to expand the challenge another four days so that you can round up the challenge to a full two weeks.
- We are deepening the content on the challenge website to make the entire experience more compelling, informative, and to have lasting impact on thousands of people's lives.
- We are actively engaging new partners (nonprofits, health care organizations, real food companies), advisors, ambassadors, interns, volunteers, etc. to extend the impact and reach of the toolbox.
- We are deepening the content on the toolbox website to offer a rich and informative array of content.
- We are reaching out to 100,000 public schools and thousands of community clinics in the U.S. to offer the toolbox as a free, year-round resource for science based nutrition.
Click on either icon below to make a donation to support our nutrition education work!