"OPTIMUM NUTRITION IS THE MEDICINE OF TOMORROW."
-DR. LINUS PAULING
8 Simple Things You Can Do Today to Improve Your Diet and Prevent Illness, by Dr. Robert H. Lustig
- Increase your intake of real, natural fiber (not the kind that comes in a pill or jar)
- Eat nutrient-dense foods rich in micronutrients
- Increase consumption of Omega 3 Fatty Acids (found in nuts, fish & avocados)
- Reduce consumption of foods with Omega 6 Fatty Acids (corn & canola oil)
- Eliminate trans fat – the synthetic fat – that your body can't metabolize for energy
- Restrict branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) – found in abundance in corn-fed animals
- Avoid drinking your calories – excess alcohol turns into liver fat
- Eliminate or significantly reduce added sugar in your diet
What is real food?
WHAT REAL FOOD IS
Real food is simple. Whole fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood, nuts, seeds, grains, and beans are all real food.
WHAT REAL FOOD IS NOT
Real food is not complicated. It is not highly processed and doesn’t have long, complex ingredient lists and items you can’t pronounce or visualize easily.
"Real Food" is food that’s NOT “Processed” food.
So what’s processed food? Here are seven criteria:
- Has to be mass produced
- Has to be consistent batch to batch
- Has to be consistent country to country
- Specialized ingredients from specialized companies
- Virtually all macronutrients are pre-frozen, which means that the fiber is usually removed
- Has to stay emulsified (fat and water don’t separate)
- Has to have long shelf-life or freezer life
Ultimately processed food has three things too little (taken away), and seven things too much (added):
- Omega-3 fatty acids (wild fish)
- Branched chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, valine)
- Omega-6 fatty acids (plant oils, polyunsaturates)
- Emulsifiers (polysorbate-80, carboxymethylcellulose)
- And the big kahuna, sugar!
– Robert Lustig, MD
Real Food Vs. Processed Food (click here to download a PDF version)
Ready to Eat Real Food? Take the 10 Day Real Food Challenge!
What is your definition of real food?
We would really like to know! Click here to take our very brief survey.